Sunday, October 10, 2010

JESSIE'S FIRST LETTER HOME

Hello to all of Jessie's friends and family following her blog.   Yesterday her first letter home arrived in the mail.   Here's some of what she said:

ALOHA.......Oh, I now mean HOLA!

     So, they are now finally allowing me to write you and Kyle a letter.   They just have us moving 24/7, but in all honesty I'm absolutely loving it here!   The Spirit is definitely powerful here and it's amazing how many missionaries there are.   I've run into so many people, people I wasn't even expecting to see.   Quite a few from Hawaii (BYU) and a girl from Springville (the one going to Ecuador) and a girl from one of my classes in Idaho, and my friend going to Sweden, and Tricia.   So, so awesome seeing that cute prima (cousin).   We ran into each other the first day and found out, crazy enough, we're in the same zone, same exact branch and schedule, except for classes.   Crazy thing is there are only 8 sisters in our zone and maybe 15-16 elders and we got to be in the same one!   SAWEET EH!
     I adore my companions, Hermana Curl (Houston, TX, Puerto Rico and 26 years) and Hermana Kamisese (California, Dominican Rep, 22).   Also, she's Tongan and I know her cousins in Hawaii (they work in the PCC).   I was so blessed to get cool, chill sisters and it sounds like we have similar reasons for being here.  They are going to be fantastic missionaries.   We are all having a rough time with Spanish, but we're trying to practice on each other.   On our second day we already had to pray in Spanish (and for) the rest of the mission and possibly teach the first discussion (20 mins) in Spanish on Monday.   Yeah, so not ready.   They seriously haven't given us enough time to even have personal scripture study.
     So far I'm fitting in my small district of us 3 Hermanas and 6 Elders.   We get along well and I'm so impressed with how mature these 19 year olds are.  They are complete gentlemen and definitely have their own unique story of why they are here and how they gained a testimony.   Very powerful group we have.   We are all outgoing personalities trying to work hard....2 elders - Columbus, Ohio & 4 elders - Paraguay.  We definitely know how to invite the Spirit into the room.   Oh, also the two teachers we have are fairly new returned missionaries, so they are my age.........Funny small world - my Maestro Hermano Gentry is from Alpine and totally was friends with Arah Heath from middle school to high school.   Crazy, eh?!
     Our first day was overwhelming, but good.   One of the activities they had us participate in was a mock interview where they had fake companions come and teach this fake investigator.   Once the missionaries came and started the discussion, a staff member stopped them and asked us how we felt about the discussion and what we would want to change or add.   It was great listening to different missionaries teach what they knew and testify.   I had one chance to answer the investigator's questions and the Spirit was so strong and I testified that despite the fact our family is a little broken here on earth, I firmly believe we will be together forever.   It was definitely a special, uplifting moment for me and the Spirit was speaking through me.   It was cool cuz after an Elder who basically kept answering for these mocks, who seemed to know what he was doing and saying, came up to me and thanked me for making that comment because apparently that is what he needed to hear that day!   That made me so happy, that I can use the Spirit to guide me to inspire and touch others!    This gospel is so beautiful and true.   I feel so blessed to have it and believe!   I love my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ so very much!

*****Jessie also sent a scripture reference..........2 Nephi 31

1 comment: